Earthquake!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake!!

You guys! I totally woke up last night at 11:30 because our large sign above our bed was rattling against the wall! It does that randomly if the dryer is going or if someone slams the door- but it continued for about 1 minute after I woke up & noticed the ENTIRE house was shaking! It was definitely mild- nothing fell or anything- but still sorta crazy! Turns out there was a 5.8 Earthquake in Western Montana that we were able to feel here in Eastern WA! That was the first time I've felt an earthquake before. So crazy!

How about you? Felt or witnessed any of mother nature's awesomeness?

I am glad there was no damage Amie, that must have been so scary to wake up to!

i haven't had anything as wild as an earthquake, but we had a hurricane here in little old England a number of years ago, and I used to do an early morning paper round, so I got up to go out (I walked into town to collect the papers, and then delivered them), it looked fine to me, still all bleary eyed so early in the morning, and it was still dark, I could hear the wind, but my mum wouldn't let me go. Later on, when everything had calmed down and we went outside, there were big trees down everywhere, and all sorts of property damage - seemed really bizarre!

Comment

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes! Glad you weren't out there!

I grew up in California, so earthquakes were a part of life. I experienced the 6.2-magnitude Coalinga quake in 1983, the 6.9-magnitude Loma Prieta quake in 1989 (that was the one that was televised on live TV during the World Series, and the same one where the double decker highways collapsed in San Francisco and Oakland), and numerous other less famous ones. While those ones were big, and definitely memorable, to me the absolute worst quakes were the swarms, when you get a whole bunch of little quakes over a short period of time. I do not miss those at all.

The weirdest "quake" I ever experienced was in Hawaii when an underwater chunk of the island of Hawaii fell off and rattled the entire island chain (it was like standing on Jell-o for about a minute, totally different from any California earthquake I'd ever experienced), and the furthest away was one on the New Madrid fault in Missouri when we lived in North Texas.

Comment

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember those CA earthquakes- we had lots of family in that area then! Crazy!

• Sabrina
      Sabrina commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember the '89 one!! I was only 4 and I remember having to get under the table with my Dad and sister. My Mom was on the way home from work. It was scary!

We had one in MI a few years back. It was crazy to feel everything move! Luckily it wasn't really a big one, but weird just the same!
    Save
    Save

Comment

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep same here! Mother Nature is pretty crazy!

I experienced one back in the 1970's, it was scary.
    So glad you and yours are fine. The way New Zealand shivers and shakes would freak me out - we visited ChristChurch just months before their big Quake.
    proudly creating for The Digital PressCo, Get it Scrapped, KimB, Monthly Chronicles, and LJS Designs.

Comment

When living in Taiwan, I experienced many tremors but no major quakes luckily. That Island also shakes a lot of the time. Scary!
      Save

Comment

That is so crazy Amie!! I'm glad everything was ok!

Comment

Working...
        X