Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Farmhouse Style

Hi All,

Do any of you watch Fixer Upper? I am redecorating my house and I am kind of obsessed with farmhouse style right now. I think it is all the wooden signs and word art on the pillows and the textures. Those things are right up my alley!

I have pinned so much, I think I have overwhelmed myself. LOL

https://www.pinterest.com/loriebug66...rmhouse-style/

If you are familiar with the show and the style what is your favorite part? I would love to see some farmhouse style in action in a real home, so share some pics if you have them.

Don't like modern farmhouse? That's cool. Share the style you do like. I am always looking for ideas that are outside the box a little.
    Save
    Save

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that show. I want shiplap on our tv wall, but hubs won't go for it. Lol
    mixing metals, stone, and wood with lots of white and light is sooooo my style.
    I like a little more minimalist with my farmhouse. Probably because our house is so tiny. I don't have room for clutter, or time to dust anything.

Comment

• Lorie
      Lorie commented
      Editing a comment
      I so totally want it on my TV wall too! I am still trying to decide if I need it though. I am not very handy, so I will have to pay someone to do it and so far the quotes have not been cheap.

I am with you on the dust! LOL

I love this style! My husband though, not so much. So I have to sneak it in.

I don't watch the show, but I do visit a local vintage market every so often for new ideas. And Pinterest. Oh, Pinterest.

We've done two hand-stained wood-plank accent walls (guest bedroom and master bathroom toilet closet), and awhile back we added wainscoting (white, which medium gray walls) to our breakfast nook and part of the kitchen (I love it and want it throughout my downstairs, but I've been voted down numerous times). We also have a bunch of industrial cage light fixtures and Edison bulbs, and lots of homemade chalkboard decor (see below). The $13 pint of chalkboard paint was a fantastic investment!! I have four old barn pulleys that I need to do something with, and also a beautiful piece of beetle-kill wood (destined for a custom light fixture that will replace an ugly directional can light). I also collect H's (first letter of our last name), and things in the shapes of the states we've lived in.

Clockwise from upper left: chalkboard & bistro marker signs I made for my husband's retirement (one for each assignment, they were part of the centerpieces, now they're hooked together in a ladder with hook and eye hardware, and hanging on the wall), handlettered patch display (hanging in the basement), 3" tall metal letters glued to a chalkboard-painted piece of 1x4" (hangs above the half bath toilet because apparently we need a reminder in my house), bottle cap map on distressed chalkboard backer (shoddy picture quality), and another thing from last summer's retirement that is still in my house, the 'tree cookie' and mason jar with string lights (the beer bottle got recycled). I put them under my plants.
    Last edited by caliten; 07-02-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Lorie
      Lorie commented
      Editing a comment
      Great photos! Love the flush sign. I have one that says wash, brush, floss, flush. I makes me smile every time I see it. You are so talented to have created all this. I tend to just buy stuff as I don't have a lot of creative time and I spend what I do scrapping. Except for quilts. I make my own quilts.

I really want to put chalkboard paint in my office, but I have heard it is horrible to paint over, so I have been holding back. How do you feel about it?

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      I have yet to attempt to paint over anything I've painted with chalkboard paint, Lorie. I have however, contemplated doing the inset space above my fireplace in chalkboard paint, but based on a past experience with 'suede paint' (totally not something I chose), and the fact that I have textured walls, I think I'd rather paint a big sheet of hardboard (that's the wood they used to use to make real schoolroom chalkboards) and then affix that to the wall.

• shannonc
      shannonc commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE that patch display you have. I have about a thousand patches that I need to do SOMETHING with... this is such a cute idea!

Wow, such an awesome pinterest board, LOVE everything,the neutrals, the worn woods and old fashioned metallic touches, just gorgeous.
    proudly creating for The Digital PressCo, Get it Scrapped, KimB, Monthly Chronicles, and LJS Designs.

Comment

• Lorie
      Lorie commented
      Editing a comment
      I love it all too, but my love of colors sometimes plays havoc with the neutral base and I have to remind myself to reign it in. LOL Just like when I am designing.

I love Fixer Upper! I used to watch Property Brothers a lot, but I got tired of all the drama ("oh my gosh, another problem that's going to eat into your budget" or "we'd like this one more thing added to the house, we don't care if we don't have the money for it!"). I know it's staged & edited but Chip & Jojo do such a good job dealing with problems that arise when working on the homes.

In terms of style, I like some aspects of the modern farmhouse look (like an accent wall with shiplap). My own style is more minimalist & mid-century modern. I've got a couple of my own boards I use when I need inspiration.

https://www.pinterest.com/michellehals/rooms-i-love/
    https://www.pinterest.com/michellehals/for-the-home/

Comment

• Lorie
      Lorie commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, nice boards. It may sound weird, but I especially loved all the bathrooms you pinned. And those pottery barn lockers. Love those! I do like the modern style and considered it, but I my eye is always drawn to the farmhouse look.

I tried something different in my bedroom, kinda modern glam, and just didn't warm up to it, so I am going to redo it again. I'm not counting, but it will be the third time this year I am repainting it.
Working...
X