Big plans for the 4th?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big plans for the 4th?

So, it's already the middle of the 4th of July weekend. We always spend it "up north" (northern Minnesota) at my sister's resort. My daughter is still on a mission trip to Detroit (on her way home finally!) so we'll home. We get to head up north later this afternoon for at least a short trip and we're looking forward it it. So ... what do you guys have going for the 4th? Do you have any family traditions, places you always go? Do you watch the fireworks? Share ...
    Barbara's Forum Signature 900x150 by Barbara, on Flickr
    Save

we will be hanging out by the pool with friends and then i promised myself and the kiddos we would go downtown to watch the fireworks.

Comment

Actually, not too much planned at all. My son will be visiting, so we might go hang out at the pool, or maybe take a long walk down to the river (it's a little over a mile to there) ... not really sure, yet. I'm focusing more on my vacation, which starts next week - New Orleans for 10 days!

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm writing down your ideas Kat! We are hoping to take my youngest there in the fall after everyone else is in school. He loves everything you mentioned so I appreciate you telling us your schedule!

• Barbara Unzen
      Barbara Unzen commented
      Editing a comment
      Have fun in New Orleans Kat!

• Kat Hansen
      Kat Hansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Robin, the insectarium and butterfly garden are really kid friendly - and there was some cool bugs in there ... and some gross ones like cockroaches that were, I swear, nearly three inches long! Eeeewww! But then again, the kids love that stuff (and secretly, I thought it was good, too). I got there right when it opened at 10:00 am and by 11 or so, the place was crawling with kids. The WWII museum got good reviews from everyone in my tour group today, except a submarine exhibit that they're currently showing - apparently not worth the extra time or money ... but the museum is spread over 4 or 5 buildings, and multiple floors. Sounds interesting ...

My hubs took our kiddos camping (they're building a large playhouse/sleeping structure too), and I'm supposed to be working, but I'm thinking that scrapping and reading trashy romance novels sounds more appealing. I'll join them at some point this weekend. Fireworks for us will including watching all the different displays as we drive back home after the holiday traffic has died down.

Comment

• mocamom
      mocamom commented
      Editing a comment
      you get time to yourself @caliten??!! I am so very jealous!!

• Barbara Unzen
      Barbara Unzen commented
      Editing a comment
      Scrapping time and family time ... good for you!

We always camp out in tents in my parents backyard on the 3rd with my whole family. We make homemade ice cream, eat snacks and sit around the fire bowl while the kids play with glow sticks and run around the yard.

This year my SIL is bringing back their old family tradition of a 4th of July BBQ, so we will be doing that and watching their big neighborhood firework show.

My Gallery

Comment

• Kat Hansen
      Kat Hansen commented
      Editing a comment
      Camping in the backyard sounds like fun!!

• Barbara Unzen
      Barbara Unzen commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds FABULOUS Hillary!

Aww there are some fun traditions going on here! Love it. My hubby and I are going to just spend the day today... kinda quiet. But tonight, despite the heat, we're going to climb a mountain here in town and sit on top to watch all of the neighborhood fireworks shows. I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

• Barbara Unzen
      Barbara Unzen commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds fun! No mountains here in Minnesota!

Got my walk in this morning - about 5 miles down to the local marina and back. Certainly got my 'red' part of red, white and blue in -- phew! LOL

Comment

• Barbara Unzen
      Barbara Unzen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kat! You got your 10,000 steps in in the morning already. Way to go!

We just got back from staying with my mom in the rehab hospital so we missed all the town activities. However, I had some sparklers and have always wanted to take pictures of the kids making shapes and writing words so we messed around with this tonight. Surprisingly, both kids loved it and weren't disappointed about missing the other stuff at all. Of course it helped that neighbors had some BIG fireworks which we got to enjoy from our backyard!
    Save
    Save

Comment

• Barbara Unzen
      Barbara Unzen commented
      Editing a comment
      How'd the pictures turn out? I bet we'll be seeing a scrapbook page soon!
Working...
X