Let's talk cool things....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk cool things....

My family's big summer adventure this year is a two-week road trip around the American West to visit all the grandparents. We got to California just in time for a ridiculous heat wave (it was 108 degrees Fahrenheit ... about 42 degrees Celsius ... yesterday), and we're melting in the heat, despite the AC.

Because it's so hot (in California and Arizona, and also recently over in England, and maybe even where you are), let's talk about cool things, cool things outside. And I don't mean pools.

We spent a day at the Grand Canyon on our way to California. Words feel insufficient to describe the awesomeness (and extreme coolness!) of that canyon. Even standing at the rim, the scope and expansiveness of it are hard to grasp. That's my cool thing right now (I'd totally post pictures, but they're 'stuck' on the DSLR). How about you?

What's the coolest thing you've seen outside recently? (it doesn't have to be a place, just something you saw and thought, 'that's cool!')

This weekend our town hosts the largest 3-on3 basketball tourney in the world! That's cool! But SO hot- thankfully this year we are going to avoid the downtown area!

http://spokanehoopfest.net/index.php/event

Comment

Ben & Jerrys ice cream is on half price sale at the local supermarket, definitely cool!

On a a serious note, I don't know if many of you are aware of a fire that swept through a high rise block of flats in London recently. It was horrific. So many people lost everything, including so many lives. And yet so many places open their doors to house the survivors, and donations of food and clothing etc flooded in. Recently on the news, some of the survivors have been reunited with their rescuers, (first responders, or simply other residents in the flats who raised the alarm and helped people get out). I'm not sure this is the sort of thing you were asking for, but it has been on my mind - how people respond when there is a need. I think that is cool (amazing and wonderful, and all sorts of other inadequate words!).
      Last edited by corrin; 06-23-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        Because I love Ben & Jerry's I'll just go ahead and ask you to enjoy a scoop of Cherry Garcia for me. And Phish Phood. And Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz, even though I know that's not your first choice.

And yes, things that bring people together in a positive way are really cool. I had heard bout the fire, but not the selflessness, donations, support and reunions. Thanks for sharing that with us.

• Amson
        Amson commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Corrin the fire totally dominated our news here for many days and there is still something most evenings. Such a tragedy for so many. It is good however to see that it brings people and communities together.

• Laura Passage
        Laura Passage commented
        Editing a comment

My cool isn't as cool as yours, but it makes me happy all the same. My mom was recently quite sick and it's been very stressful. However, she's on the mend and I think that's very "cool" so my temper is better, my stress level is better, and my mood is better. I'll take it
      Save
      Save

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        Robin, that's extremely cool! I'm glad that your mom is on the mend, and that your stress level is going down!

oh that's a great topic to talk about. Recently I was in a small village in Vietnam and I spent a whole day with a family living in very basic conditions. They had 3 kids with almost no toys and it was amazing to see how they can play with what they had around like corn for a doll and stones for a board games. They were outside helping they parents and then playing so they spend almost the whole day outside. It was amazing to watch and very inspiring!

Comment

Working...
      X