Documentaries?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentaries?

Hi ladies! Who has a favorite documentary that they've watched? I go through spurts of wanting to watch stuff other than action movies... so always looking for a good documentary. One of my favorites was called Meru, the story about a group of guys who climbed that mountain in South America... incredible story!

Anyone? Anyone?

right now, on Sunday afternoon we are huddling up on the sofa with a big bowl of popcorn and watching "planet earth" with the kids!

Comment

• shannonc
      shannonc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh that's a good one! I have that one on DVD! They're actually making a Planet Earth II that I'm excited to see.

We have seen almost all the BBC Earth DVD's and just watched one on Birds of Paradise this past week. Great stuff!!
    Save
    Save

Comment

I just stumbled upon this article about the making of Planet Earth II documentaries, I thought of you immediately! https://www.slrlounge.com/planet-ear...e-photography/

Comment

We've been making our way through Wildest Islands on Netflix. And my husband and son also enjoy Plane Resurrection (I think that's what it's called), also on Netflix. That one's a little dry for me though, and outside of the scope of interest for most people (it's about Brits rebuilding .... resurrecting, actually, given the effort required .... old WWI and WWII warplanes).

Comment

we recently watched Before the Flood and The Founder. Both excellent.

Comment

• Laura Passage
            Laura Passage commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree on Before the Flood. *two thumbs up* !

• shannonc
            shannonc commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm flying this weekend and totally just download Before the Flood to watch on the plane Thanks ladies!

OK, so... this might sound like a super weird suggestion, but I simply cannot recommend it enough (it's seriously one of the best documentary series I've ever watched) -- "OJ: Made In America | A 30-for-30 Documentary."

I should preface this by saying that I never planned to watch this, and would have actively avoided it (truly) because it came out at a time in which I felt like the entertainment industry was trying to milk the OJ story for all it was worth, and the whole thing annoyed me.

But... my husband read some amazing reviews about it, and we are a sports family who loves the 30-for-30 series... so... he started us on watching it one night last year.

I prepared myself to hate it... but... OH. MY. GOODNESS. It's fascinating, and so amazingly well-done. It's not just about the OJ trial itself... it's actually a look at everything that was going on in our society at the time, and about the history of racial tensions in the US, and how they affected the OJ case (and conversely, how the case affected our society).

FASCINATING. We watched the first episode (2 hours) and by the time it was over, I was desperate to see the 2nd one (there are 5)... and so on... and so on. It's addictive, because it's just that good. I think everyone in our country should have to watch it, because it really does an amazing job of shedding light onto so many things that affect all of our lives today.

Fascinating, fascinating, fascinating. Eleventy-billion thumbs up.
          ~ Laura ~

Comment

• kristallund
            kristallund commented
            Editing a comment
            we watched and liked this too. i think it won an emmy????

We recently watched The Minimalist documentary on Netflix and I found it so interesting. Not only did it talk about the lifestyle of being a minimalist, but also the effects of consumerism on our society. I really enjoyed it!

Comment

What I liked was Making a murderer at netflix.
            the story of Steven Avery, who served 18 years in prison for the wrongful conviction of sexual assault and attempted murder of Penny Beerntsen, before being fully exonerated in 2003 by DNA evidence.
            --- ASTRID ---

Comment

Working...
            X