DSD GAME | Do Something Nice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSD GAME | Do Something Nice

Hello!! Did you know that today is "Do Something Nice Day"??!! In honor of this, we're inviting y'all to perform a random act of kindness for someone else in the world that you don't already know personally. Examples could be: paying for the coffee of the person in the drive-thru line behind you... finding a $-off coupon for a restaurant you like, and then going there to eat but giving a stranger the coupon to use on their meal instead... etc. (lots and lots of ideas here, we're sure!). For instance, my son and I went to Starbucks and paid for the car behind us. What a great way to start the morning! So in order to participate in the game,you simply need to leave a post describing what you did -- and for whom. Photos of said "random acts of kindness" earn bonus points.

Not only are you doing something nice for someone else, but every participant will be entered into a random drawing to win a $5 coupon to kbecca's store!! How fun is that??!!!

Enjoy your day and I can't wait to hear how you made a difference in another person's life!!!
    Save
    Save

What a great idea!

Comment

What a great idea!
      Something I often do and this morning (it's 5.41 pm here) I did it again... I took the bus to work and offered my seat in the bus to someone else.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        That's very cool Sarah!!!

I feel like this world we are living in now- we need "do something nice day" everyday!?!

I had the sweetest little old lady as a new patient to our dental office. She is new to our area, recently lost her husband unexpectedly, had a knee replacement & moved. She does not know ANYONE in our town. It just broke my heart how lonely she is- so with the my doctor's permission, I invited her to have a cup of coffee in our staff room during my break to continue our conversations. I just want to adopt her as my grandma! Thankfully her son is moving soon to be closer to her. I think I honestly got 'more out of' our conversations than she did- it felt so good to spend a few extra minutes with someone who just needed to talk to a stranger!

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Amie she sound like a wonderful person! I'm so glad she will have family soon though it sounds like y'all could be really good friends too!

I had a gentleman trimming my trees and cutting down 2 palm trees. He didn't see one palm tree when he made the quote, but he seen it when he started working. He mentioned to my son the "if I had seen it before I made the quote, I would have charged $100 more. But, I am a man of my word."

When I paid him, I gave him an additional $50 tip because of that.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure he was pleasantly surprised! Hope the tree removal went well without difficulties!!

This is such a great idea! I helped out an older lady hwo was having a spot of bother with something technical today.
      Last edited by corrin; 10-06-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I envy your skills Corrin, and I'm sure the lady was glad you were there!

I was behind an older gentleman in line at the DMV and overheard his conversation at the counter. He didn't realize he had to pay a $35 fee before he was able to renew his licence. He was talking about how he couldn't get a ride back to the DMV (expired licence so he couldn't drive) and he couldn't pay the fee until his SS check came in... So, I paid his fee. It felt great to help out!
      Happiness is a choice ~ Choose wisely

Comment

• corrin
        corrin commented
        Editing a comment
        wow, that was so lovely of you!

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are the best moments aren't they! What a huge difference you made in his life!

A few examples from today: I was on the soccer fields this morning and when we left, we picked up some trash that others had left behind.
      I normally don't do this, because I usually forget or get distracted with kids and parents, but I mad sure to tell the teenagers that ref'ed the game today thank you for the good job they did.

Not a stranger, but a friend was kind enough to give my older son a ride this morning so I didn't have to drag the rest of my kids to the fields and hour before we needed to be there.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Great lesson for the kids to see you clean up and speaking as once a mom to a referee, THAT made that teen's day I promise!

We definitely need more days of kindness in our world.
      We went out for lunch and they gave all the ladies a carnation at the check-out. We went to the market after and I saw a mom struggling to get her kids wrangled into the shopping cart. I could tell she was at her wit's end, so we waited until she was in the store and I wrote a little note saying "You're doing just fine, momma" and tucked it along with the carnation under her wiper blade.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        That gave me chills Jenn. For real. She will feel so overwhelmed with peace when she reads it! And I concur whole-hardheartedly - EVERY day should be a day of kindness!

Such inspiring acts. When I go to see my mom at the nursing home, I always take along her dog to see her. He is her baby and she misses him terribly. After we are there a bit, I always take the dog, Little Bit, around to see all the other patients in her wing. I talk to them for a few minutes while they pet him. So many of them do not get many visitors and they really appreciate having a few minutes of attention and I appreciate being able to give it to them. I love that my mom encourages me to "go visit" the other patients too.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhh Lorie, that is EXACTLY what these patients need!! I try to do the same thing, but with my kid and not my dog Zach loves to talk and hear stories, and they love having someone to tell stories too. I'm so glad you take the time to do that!

Wow... some awesome acts of kindness going on here! When shopping at the grocery store today I was in line in behind an elderly gentleman who must have had arthritis or some other pain related illness. We chatted in the line and joked about how hard it is to get old. When it was his turn I mouthed to the clerk that I would pay his bill. When he was told that someone paid his bill already he asked who. I shook my head to her so she said "Just someone who cares".

Comment

• chloe
        chloe commented
        Editing a comment
        Awww, that is adorable!

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet he talked about this the rest of the day!!

So, it's someone I know, but not super well....

Last week I had to fly to Washington DC for work (I intentionally scheduled it this way), and on my way back to the airport, I picked up my husband's 90-year-old great-aunt. We flew to Boston, and met up with my husband and kids. We then got her up to her grand-niece's wedding in New Hampshire on Saturday, then brought her back to DC on the train today (door to door service!). She literally held my hand every time we went anywhere, usually gripping so very tight. I tell you what - I'm glad I did it, for all her smiles and laughter, for the time we got to spend together. It was such a wonderful gift.

Anyhow, on the train today the lady sitting across the aisle from me spilled a cold coffee all over herself and her maybe-7-year-old daughter when the train lurched suddenly. The daughter just started yelling at the mom because her leg got wet, and this poor woman looked so frazzled. I jumped up and ran back to the bathroom to get a big handful of paper towels, and then came back and mopped up the spilled coffee on the floor. I also kept a crooked eyeball on that lady's kids - their eyes were glued to their screens, I doubt they even noticed - while she ran to the cafe car to get some lunch.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahhh Carrie I'm so glad your husband's great-aunt. I'm sure that made her weekend being able to be with family and attend the wedding. It sounds like she wouldn't have done it if you hadn't been there for her!! And that poor mom!! So glad you were in the right spot at the right time!

Someone did something nice for me today! I was in a hurry at the shop, and had only 1 thing to buy, and a kind lady let me go in front of her. It made me smile for ages (as I thanked her and hurried off!).

I will be honest, I took my kids to McDonalds yesterday, and I really wanted to pay for the people behind us, I paid for our food by card so that I could leave the cash I had in my purse. but when it came to the moment, I didn't do it! I don't know if I was just too awkward or shy (they were right behind me, and would have heard, and I'm not sure that this sort of thing gets done here much, I had a feeling the very young cashier would not have known what to do!), but I have regretted not plucking up the courage ever since. Missed opportunities are so sad!

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        no no no Corrin, I'm with you!! If they could have heard you, or if it drew attention since the cashier likely didn't know what to do, it becomes stressful and takes the fun out of it! There is ALWAYS another opportunity somewhere. That's why we use the drive through, I'm to chicken and know I can be safely away before they find out what I've done! Introverts unite!!!!!!!

• Hillary
        Hillary commented
        Editing a comment
        I always think about doing things like that too, but always chicken out in the end. I always kick myself when I do though.

Thanks Robin, it is nice to know Someone else would feel awkward too, I think drive through are the answer!

it seems my daughter is braver than me! She is 13yrs, and on Saturday we were in a shop she likes to browse around, when a very unpleasant customer was quite rude and difficult to one of the girls who works there. This shop assistant is always friendly and helpful, so my daughter felt really sorry for her. Today, she wrote a letter to "the staff" at the store, saying how she enjoyed browsing around their shop, and how lovely the staff are. She sneaked the letter up to the till, and left the store. Kind deed, done!

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        My kids want to write a thank you note to the housekeeper in the hotel we're staying in to say thank you for nicely displaying their tattered old blankets that they insist on dragging along whenever we travel. I'm thrilled that they've got that kindness in their hearts, like your daughter does.

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Good for her for thinking about writing the note Corrin!! She sounds like a very empathetic teen which is rare these days!

My kind gesture is way less impressive than the other acts of kindness posted here, but today I stood in line at the groceries store and I was just about to put my groceries on the counter when I noticed that the person behind me in line had way less groceries in his basket than I had, so I let him go first. I always feel guilty when people have to wait extra long because of me, so I often let people go before me.
      Last edited by Sharon-Dewi; 10-11-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• mocamom
        mocamom commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds simple Sharon, but boy does it really help the other person. That was super kind of you to think about them. Sometimes I'm in my own head way to much to pay attention and realize AFTER I've checked out that I should have done the same thing. Glad you weren't like that!
    Working...
    X