DSD GAME | Name Your Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSD GAME | Name Your Car

Hey, hi, hello and welcome to DSD week here at The Digital Press! We have so many fun games and challenges in store for you this week as we lead up to our big DSD celebration this weekend. In fact, I've got the first game right here.

Did you know that October 2 is "Name Your Car Day"? Really. That's a thing. So, in honor of that, you're invited to post a photo of your car -- AND -- assign your car a name -- AND -- explain the reason for that name. All eligible participants who post a photo, name and reasoning behind that name here by 11:59pm PT on Wed 10/11, will be entered into a drawing for a $5 coupon to Meagan's Creations store. The winner will be announced in the TDP newsletter on Fri 10/13.

Sounds simple, right? There is one little catch. Please use a photo-sharing site, like Flickr, Tinypic, etc., to host your image; DO NOT upload your car photos to the TDP gallery. If you've never done that before, it's easy to set up a free account and get your photo uploaded.

Flickr: If you choose Flickr, go to www dot flickr dot com (yes, there's no E in Flickr) and follow the prompts to set up a new account. Once you're through, click on Photostream, then click on the little cloud icon with the up-arrow way up in the upper right corner of your screen. Click the blue banner in the middle of the screen that says Choose Photos and Videos To Upload, select your file, click Open. In the upper right corner, click the blue Upload Your Photo banner, then click on Upload again in the little pop-up window. Your photo should pop up in your Photostream now. Just click on it to open up the sharing screen.

Now, the hard part. Click on the little right-pointing arrow on the lower right side of the screen (#1 in the photo below). This brings up a call-out window. Click on BBcode (#2 in the image below). Highlight and copy (control-C or command-C) the link. Come back to this thread here. Click on Post Reply up near the top left of the screen in the green banner, and in your reply, paste (control-P or command-P) that highlighted text. At this point, I like to scroll through and remove some extra stuff - I get right of everything after the first [ / url ] (no spaces). Add your comments, click Post Reply, and voila. There you have it.

So, after all that, here's my car. We call her Nellie. We called her predecessor The Rhino (large, gray and lots of torque), and my kids decided that this gal needed a name befitting a large, inky blue creature. The Blue Whale was a non-starter, as were many of the other names they recommended. Since she stables with The Shark and The Marlin, we decided to keep the ocean theme going. DS thought maybe she was a Plesiosaur, you know, like Nessie the Loch Ness monster, and somehow that got us to Nessie's cousin, Nellie, the (big, blue, kinda shimmery) Sea Dragon.

I'm quite excited to see and hear these stories! One last rundown of the rules:

- Post a photo of your car (make sure that photo is hosted by a photo-sharing site, and NOT in the TDP Gallery), along with its name, and the reasoning behind that name.
    - Entries must be posted by 11:59 pm PT on Wed 10/11.

And, ready, set, GO! Happy pre-DSD!

Last edited by Laura Passage; 10-02-2017, 11:07 AM.

When I was growing up- my dad named every car/truck he ever owned! He even named silly things like the dishwasher! lol! I guess that gene passed to me because my cars have always had names too! The kids named our first Acadia- KD. So of course the newest Acadia (photo from Aug 2015) is KD jr. :D

Last edited by AmieN1; 10-03-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      Gah, your image isn't working... so I can't see it. But I sorta love the whole 'junior' thing you have goin' on! hahaha

• AmieN1
      AmieN1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Weird cause I see it? I'll update with a new one!

I know I'm not eligible and I can't post a picture since I didn't take any "back in the day!", but I wanted to share my favorite car. Her name was Bess, my brand new Corolla I received when I was 17. Of course it lost it's "specialness" when my parents handed me the brand new coupon payment book too. Still shaking my head at why they would buy a 17 year old a new car, and then make me pay for it. Alas, this wonderful piece of freedom died an unnatural death when a city bus ran a red light and plowed into my sister and me one day. Bess was still such a baby and had many more miles ahead of her. I will always think of her I can't wait to hear more car stories. It's always fun to know that other people name their cars as well
    Save
    Save

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      My first car was a Corolla too. It was not new; it was my mom's old commuter car. White with tan vinyl interior with some unremovable melted (cheap, not even Crayola!) crayon stains on the back seat that I'd inadvertently facilitated one summer when I was like 4. Fun times.

What happens if you don't own a car? I live in NYC and haven't had a car for 10 years as there is really no need for one.

Comment

• Hillary
      Hillary commented
      Editing a comment
      How about you pick a dream car, show us a picture, and then tell us what you would name it. Does that work?

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, Hillary. I'll take a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, preferably in silver or smoke, but I won't be too picky. And we shall call her Florence (you know, the Machine).
      Last edited by caliten; 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM.

• Laura Passage
      Laura Passage commented
      Editing a comment
      Being someone who lived in NYC for a while in college... I'd say, name your subway car or bus. hahahaha

I don't have acces to our car due to personal family circumstances, so I can't take a photo of it. But I hope it's ok that I post a picture of a car that looks exactly like ours.
    We call our car 'BIXke', because the licence plate of our first car was 1-BIX-and than 3 numbers.

Comment

• caliten
      caliten commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it! I recently had to give up my TDi (which we called 'The Rhino') because of that whole emissions thing with VW and Audi over here in the States. I was really, really sad to have to let that car go.

Untitled by Lisa Davolt, on Flickr

This is Winston. He's a Ford Winstar Mini Van. WINstar = WINston.

Before Winston was Carlita who was a Nissan Altima (she had a Car???something on her window glass).

DH has a Chevy Silverado Truck and he likes to deer hunt, so his truck is called BUCK.
    Last edited by LisaDV; 10-07-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Goldie was my lovely great aunt's name and our car is gold. Seems so right.
      Goldie by Jan Gebhart, on Flickr

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        We had a cat named Goldie when I was a kid. He was a gigantic orange and very male tabby that my sister swore and down was a girl, hence the name. I love your beautiful red flowers and flock of flamingos too.

I have only ever named one car and it is my Mom's car. Her name just flew out of my mouth the second that I saw her. So without further ado, this is Lucy.

My Gallery

Comment

• caliten
        caliten commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Lucy!

Love it. My very first car was a datsun 120Y (1977 model) even though I only got her in 1984, she already had a name "Daisy". Daisy was so faithful and always got me from A to B without breaking down. We replaced her when my third child arrived, Daisy was too small for the three children to be safely constrained. I never named the Corolla or the Verso I got after her. Sad state of affairs.

Comment

Carmen-250 by antonia macedo, on Flickr

Comment

well cut my legs off and call me shorty i guess the code worked this time! My cars name is Phantom1...the reason for this is 1I so love the Movie and Music of Phantom of the Opera. Even have it as a ringtone on my phone. 2 Phantom1 is FASSSSSSST! and i do road trips to Florida. we fly down the roadways. She is fast and beautiful so if you see a dark blurr passing you by on the highway that would be us!

Comment

JOURNALING: When my twin sister and I graduated from high school, our parents bought us a brand new model of Ford automobile which had, ironically, been introduced to the market around our birthday of that year - the Ford Mustang. This was one of the very first Mustangs to come off the assembly line and even came with a dashboard plaque proclaiming it to be an “original edition Ford Mustang.” Although our parents intended the car to be for both of us, my sister and I ALWAYS considered this to be “MY” car, even though she was the only one with the driver’s license at the time. (Her graduation gift was a trip to NYC to see “Hamlet” on Broadway, starring Richard Burton.)
            At the time, one of the top-rated TV shows was “Bonanza,” a western about the wealthy Cartwright family who lived on a large ranch named the Ponderosa on the shores of Lake Tahoe in the post-civil war Nevada territory. The family consisted of papa Ben and his three grown sons, Adam, Eric, and Joseph. Eric was known as “Hoss,” a nickname used as a nod to the character's ample girth, an endearing term for "big and friendly", used by his Swedish mother. Since I was a bit obsessed with the show, and since “hoss” sounded like “horse” and a mustang is a horse, my car became known as “Lil Hoss.”
            Although the original Mustang was listed as a 1965 model, its introduction in the spring of 1964 caused the earliest production run to be dubbed “1964 1/2.” Originally forecast to sell about 100,000 units during its first year, it surpassed that mark in the first three months and went on to sell three times that number in its first year, Ford’s most successful launch since the Model A.
            CREDITS: KIT: Goodness by creashans; FONTS: Comic Sans; Fineliner Script

Comment

• Pups_r_Paps
              Pups_r_Paps commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the story of your "Lil Hoss"; your page is great with the super photo and the hearts in the title.

• caliten
              caliten commented
              Editing a comment
              I love it! Excellent journaling and capturing this for future generations!!

This is the new car my daughter's driving. She always names them "girl's names". Since I am paying for this one (for now until she finishes college and gets started on real life), I'm just calling it "Money Pit".
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_1325_1507353414877_51[/ATTACH]

Comment

• caliten
              caliten commented
              Editing a comment
              Too funny. I hope she doesn't end up coating too much!!

I've always preferred a Subaru, but there was a huge air bag recall on current models when we went to trade our lease in, so we went with a Hyundai. It's a nice car and has heated seats, but it still feels a bit old for us. I call her Gertie, which always makes me think of a grandmother.

Comment

• caliten
              caliten commented
              Editing a comment
              That's one awfully sleek granny. I hope I age that well!

• Lorie
              Lorie commented
              Editing a comment
              Last gray car I had I called Etta Mae. Another great granny name. LOL

I always name my cars and this one is called Sassy because of the great color.

Comment

• caliten
              caliten commented
              Editing a comment
              In my head, I totally said that in a sassy way too.

• Lorie
              Lorie commented
              Editing a comment
              My son is driving my old red car and he still calls her Lucy Lou. I named her that because she was my favorite "red head." LOL
          Working...
          X